Monday, November 12, 2012

A trip back to Sevierville

It's been quite some time since I've written a blog. I guess I've been busy keeping house or I've settled into a quiet, simple life.

In early September I traveled to Sevierville to play in a golf outing. Audrey Yates and Smoky Mountain Title was kind enough to sponsor a four man team. The only problem I had was that I traveled to Sevierville about a week early. I didn't pay much attention to the date Audrey sent me and just went.

This worked out well though, in the long run. It allowed me to spend about four days experiencing one of my passions. I drove to Murfreesboro, Shiloh, Corinth MS., Clarksville/Nashville, and Chattanooga . I was able to visit Civil War battle sites at each of these locations.

First on the list was Stone's River in Murfreesboro, TN. This marked the beginning of the Union taking control of Middle and Western Tennessee and essentially splitting the Confederacy in half. I spent the better part of a day touring the site, spending time at the visitors Center, and getting in and out of the car to get a feel for the battle and to read all the markers. 

From here I drove about four hours and located the Shiloh battle site. It was late in the day and I could find nowhere to spend the night, so I had to travel about an hour north to near Jackson, TN to find a room. Knowing that the Shiloh site was extremely large, I headed out early the next morning. While at Stone's River I spoke with another Civil War tourist and he advised me to visit Corinth, MS before Shiloh. At that time, Corinth was a strategic rail center for the South, and would later fall to the Federals. This would lend some insight as to the reasoning behind Confederate General Sidney Albert Johnston's attempt to smash Federal General U.S. Grant's army encamped at Shiloh. Getting to Corinth and visiting the center added about three hours to my trip, but it was certainly worth it. From here I traveled back to the Shiloh battle site. After touring the visitor center - reading, viewing artifacts, and watching a film - I visited the U.S. Military Cemetery where many of the Union soldiers that lost their lives at this battle are buried. This was an extremely moving experience. I then jumped in the car and proceeded to spend the next five hours driving the auto tour, getting out and reading the markers, walking some of the areas that were highlights in this horrific two day battle, and drinking in the feelings that flow through this site. Various locations that were highlights of this battle is the Shiloh Church itself that changed hands twice; it was used as both Union General William T. Sherman's headquarters, and after being overrun by Confederates, it was used By Confederate General Pierre G.T. Beauregard's headquarters until it was taken back on the second day of battle. I also walked Bloody Lane, the Hornet's Nest, Bloody Pond, the Peach Orchard, and the site where General Sidney A. Johnston was shot and later died. In my opinion, General Johnston was the best Confederate general of the western theater.








From here I traveled north to Clarksville, TN - north of Nashville. Getting to my room about 9 PM, I planned my next day and rested. Early the next morning, I backtracked once again and went to visit the Fort Donelson Battle site. This was also a strategic battle as this fort along with Fort Henry allowed the Confederates to control the river traffic. These forts were located on the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers, respectively, and were vital to river movement of troops and supplies in the western portion of the Civil War. Fort Henry fell easily to General Grant and the naval support courtesy of Flag Officer Foote. This was made possible with the nearly complete evacuation before the battle due to difficulty in defending the fort. Fort Donelson was a different story. The defense of this fort was prepared for much better. And the U.S. Navy did not have the same success as it did at Fort Henry. The confederate cannon was better positioned and not easily reached by Flag Officer Foote's gunboats. Eventually the gunboats, after sustained much damage, withdrew. The Federal infantry was also stymied after a day's battle, but for some odd reason, the two confederate generals, General John Floyd, who was in command of Fort Donelson, and General Pillow, second in command, pulled the confederate troops back into the fort. Under the cover of darkness, these two generals along with the confederate cavalry led by General Nathan Bedford Forrest escaped the fort which was surrendered the next day, the Confederates losing about 13,000 troops. 

From here, with time on my hands, I drove to Chattanooga to visit Lookout Mountain and learn about "The Battle Above the Clouds". Again, arriving in the evening, I checked into a hotel and planned my next day.






Following the Federal retreat at the Battle of Chickamauga, these troops under the leadership of General Rosecrans occupied Chattanooga. Confederate General Braxton Bragg followed them to Chattanooga and proceeded to lay siege to the city in an attempt to force a surrender. Bragg stationed troops on Lookout Mountain overlooking the city, to the east in an area referred to as Missionary Ridge, along with various troops scattered to the west. Eventually the siege was broken by General Grant's movement of Federal troops crossing the Tennessee River near Moccasin Bend and creating "The Cracker Line". In addition, his troops easily took Missionary Ridge and charged up Lookout Mountain. Due to heavy fog hanging around and over Lookout Mountain, to view the battle from the base of the mountain was impossible; thus the term "The Battle Above the Clouds".  

Thus, in only four days I travelled to some of the most important battle sites in the western theater of the Civil War; and one of the bloodiest of the entire war - Shiloh.

Consider this your American history overview lesson for the month. The Civil War really is one of the most interesting periods in our country's history. So much came about in our great country because of this conflict.

Oh yeah, I did get to play golf. We had a great time but didn't play very well. It's really a social event for most of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment